Experts say, the most common cause of eyebrow loss for 0ver-60s is over-plucking them during your youth. As we age, our eyebrows tend to thin our and some brow hair can turn slightly coarse too. Thinning eyebrows can also cause them to look imbalanced and lopsided.
Believe it or not, each time a hair is plucked, there is a chance of permanent follicular damage and no regrowth so just imagine what years of over-plucking would have done to your brows.
Another common cause of eyebrow loss is scratching of the eyebrows from seborrheic dermatitis. See if your eyebrows have irregular breakage and the obvious presence of erythema and yellowish skin scale. If you do, use a combination of desonide cream and ketoconazole cream twice daily for one week to control the problem, which can be better maintained by the use of over-the-counter ketoconazole shampoo.
Luckily, eyebrow loss can be managed cosmetically with an eyebrow pencil, gel or pen.
Some of the fantastic products the Starts at 60 team has tried:
1. By Terry Eyebrow Liner – it’s a gel liner to fill in the brows if you still have a lot of hair left but just sparse.
2. Eyebrow pencil from Daiso – this one comes with a brush extension to comb your brows with.
3. L’Oreal Brow Artist Designer – a brow pencil for beginners, easy to handle.
4. M.A.C Eyebrows – one of the best eyebrow pencils in the market. It’s self-sharpening and lasts for a long time.
5. Colour by TBN Essential Brow Kit (from leading chemists) – a small kit that has eyebrow gel and powder with a tiny brush to apply the colours with. This is easy to use too.
See how Sharon Danley corrects her eyebrow shape here: