They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it can also be the most monotonous. Mix things up with these tasty little quiches and get a good dose of protein and veggies while you’re at it! You can add or change any of the veggies, meat and cheese you like to include all your favourites and once you got the base down you can mix up the rest of your ingredients every time. Enjoy two for breakfast or eat as a filling mid-afternoon snack to get you through until dinner. Enjoy!
1. If using meat (bacon, sausage, etc.), cook it fully first. Set it aside to cool, then cut into small pieces. Preheat oven to 180C, and thoroughly grease a muffin tin with oil or butter.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
3. Get all your veggies diced up and ready to go. Optionally, you can saute your onion with a bit of olive oil to soften it up and take away some of its bite. Set aside and allow to cool.
4. Add all the veggies to the bowl with the egg mixture, and stir to combine. Stir in half of the cheese, and all of the meat, if using.
5. Using an ice-cream scoop or ¼ cup measure, scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin pan. Fill to about ¼ inch from the top, then sprinkle a small amount of reserved cheese over each. Place in the oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the egg is fully set and the cheese has just started to turn golden on top.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before running a butterknife around each muffin, and gently removing from the pan.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here