13 awesome ways to reuse and recycle plastic bottles
Plastic bottles riddle our lives and more often than not, we pop them in the recycling and think nothing more of them – but do we have to? They actually have a lot of potential! Just check out these 13 awesome ways to reuse them and make bottles into something beautiful and creative for your home.
1. Broom via Bored Panda Ad. Article continues below.
2. DIY jewellery stand Items needed 2 x one litre bottle 2 x 600ml bottle knife scissors 1 x 12-inch threaded rod + bag of same sized nuts and washers Ad. Article continues below. Steps Cut the bottoms of the bottles with a knife and trim further with scissors Drill holes the same thickness of the rod in the centre of each tray If you want the lowest tray to hang your bracelets on, you’ll need to cut between the ‘petals’ of the bottom of the bottle to separate them. Put each tray between two washes and two nuts and thread through with the threaded rod. Glue a bead on top and you’re done! Via EPBOT
3. Bouquet lamp Ad. Article continues below. Items needed 25 plastic bottles of the same size Heat proof glue or staples Steps Cut bottle bottoms off, 2 or so cm from the bottom. Once all bottoms are cut off, arrange them in the pattern in the picture and glue together or staple Mould the shape into a sphere and add the bottoms one at a time to keep the shape Leave a gap for the bulb and make sure it can rest on the lamp once fitted Secure in place with glue or tape Ad. Article continues below. Via Personalise.co.uk
4. Coin purse Items needed Ad. Article continues below. 2 x plastic bottles zipper embroidery needle regular sewing thread nylon thread adhesive tape scissors Steps Cut the base of each bottle Create a paper guide for the zipper stitching by measuring the circumference of the base – it should be the same length as your zipper. Cut two pieces of paper the same length as the bottle base around. Mark evenly spaced holes around the whole length of paper. Attach to base with tape and make sure straight. Use the thick needle to poke holes through where you’ve marked, all the way around and repeat Pull off the paper and get ready to put the zipper in place Unzip the zipper and attack with tape as you thread the needle through the holes Overlap the fabric zipper at the ends Via Flickr
Ad. Article continues below. 5. Curtains/room dividers Items needed 30-50 plastic bottles (same size and colour) Scissors Needle Metal rings or nylon wire or tag ties Curtain rod and rings Steps Ad. Article continues below. Cut the bottom of the bottles to look like plastic flowers Use the needle to make holes in the four edges of the bottom join the bottles using the metal rings/nylon wire/tag ties When you finish the size you need, tie the curtain rings to the top and hang on the rod Via So Creative Things
6. Bathroom containers Ad. Article continues below. Items needed Knife saw Scissors Clothes iron Steps Saw the bottle at the desired height – you can make your containers as deep or as shallow as you like Trim edges with scissors to even up Put iron on maximum temperature and then place the bottle edges on the iron very briefly to get a rounded edge Fill with cosmetics Via Pluii Ad. Article continues below.
7. Owl vases Items needed 2 x plastic bottles white and black acrylic paint 2 x paint brushes, one thick and one thin Ad. Article continues below. Steps Cut the plastic bottles in half Paint one white and one black Draw the owl pattern in the photo with the opposite colour Via Amazing Interior Design
8. Creative gift wrapping Ad. Article continues below. Via Craft and Fun
9. Plant holder Ad. Article continues below. Via Facebook
10. Phone charger holder Ad. Article continues below. Via Facebook
11. Sprinkler Items needed Ad. Article continues below. push pin bamboo skewer 1 x clean, empty 2L soft drink bottle 3/4 inch female x 3/4 female swivel hose adapter (from plumbing section) extra hose washers Steps Rinse the bottle and take off the label Put one of the red washers inside one side of the adapter (the side that is going to fit over the bottle lip) and secure tightly Take push pin and poke 8 holes along one side of the bottle and then take the skewer to widen each of the holes Attach the the garden hose! Via Clever Crafty Cookin Mama
Ad. Article continues below. 12. Plastic crowns for your grandchildren Items needed 1 x 2L plastic bottle glitter glue scissors tape Steps Ad. Article continues below. Cut a 7cm high cylindrical piece off the plastic bottle Using two pieces of folded tape, put your crown template behind the plastic Trace the outlines of the template – don’t trace the details Cut the inside of the lines you trace so you’re just left with the shape Use glitter glue to trace over the details Via Paper Plate and Plane
13. Candle holder Ad. Article continues below. Items needed Plastic bottle Scissors Knife Glass/ceramic paint Paint brush Ruler glitter Steps Cut off the top of the bottle with the knife Make even cuts uses scissors and use ruler if it helps to get it accurate Paint all around and let semi-dry then sprinkle glitter on Place candle Via Guide Central
Which is your favourite? What do you do with your recycled plastic bottles? Share more creative tips below.
Loading Next Article
Love starts at sixty? Get our most popular stories delivered today.
Never Miss a story
join us today