Over the Christmas period we often find ourselves throwing away the silica gel packets that come with so many of our gifts and purchases, but these little packets have some incredibly handy uses. Here are ten ways you can use them before you toss them out.
1. Keep underwater cameras dry – Waterproof cameras are super fun but sometimes the condensation can end up damaging the camera or leave a fog streak across your lens. Stop this from happening by storing a packet or two of silica-gel packets in the camera case or with the camera. It will dry all of the excess water out.
2. Dry out a wet mobile phone – How many times have we accidentally dropped our phone in some water like a pool, toilet or the kids or yourself spilled a drink on your phone? It always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Here is how you can fix it fast: remove the battery and any memory cards from the phone, then toss it in a bowl filled with silica gel packets (dry rice will work, too, in an emergency). Leave it there at least overnight before powering it on again.
3. Extend the life of razor blades – Oxidation and moisture is the reason that razor blades fall to pre-mature dulling. A good tip is to keep a Tupperware half full of silica gel near by and after shaving, blot dry your razor and store the razor in the closed Tupperware that has 4 -5 silica gel packets.
3. Dry makeup or travel bag – If you toss a few packets of silica gels into a Ziplock bag, it has enough water and moisture fighting ability to withstand any spills.
4. Protect your photos – Put silica gel packet in the boxes where you store your photos to keep them safe and dry.
5. Protect silver – Moisture can lead to tarnish and corrosion on silver and jewellery. Slip a silica gel packet in your silver chest or jewellery box to keep those items tarnish free and looking great!
6. Gardening – If you save your own seeds for planting next year, storing them so they don’t mould is important. Add a silica gel packet to your container, making sure it’s airtight. Store the different seeds in small envelopes and then put them all in an airtight container together with the silica gel packet. You only need one per shoe box-sized container.
7. Protect documents – Protect personal papers and important documents by putting some gel in a baggie wherever these are stored.
8. Flowers – If you enjoy drying flowers, these can be used in a cinch to help the process go faster. Store in a paper bag with the a couple packets.
9. Keep shoes from smelling – If you have some smelly shoes around the house, pop some silica gel packets in them to get rid of moisture and odours.
10. Bulk pet food – Have you noticed that if you buy a big bag of pet food, it can get soggy? Store your food in a bin and tape some silica packs to the bottom of the lid.
Originally published here.