Have you noticed ridges on your nails? This incredibly common phenomena has baffled men and women alike for years. If you have them, you’ll know what they look like. These ridges extend from the cuticle to the tip and seem to be more prominent as you age.
So what are they and what do they mean?
Thankfully, vertical ridges aren’t anything to worry about. The exact cause of ridging isn’t known but if your parents had them, you likely will too.
On the other hand, horizontal nail ridges may indicate the presence of an underlying illness or medical condition, although this is not always the case. Horizontal nail ridges run from one side of the nail lengthwise across to the other side.
These could predict malnutrition or diabetes, so see your doctor if you’re concerned.
So how can you get rid of the ridges on your nails?
1. Wear cotton-lined rubber gloves when using soap and water for prolonged periods or when using harsh chemicals
2. Avoid long baths
3. Avoid using nail polish remover no more than twice a month
4. Rub moisturising lotion into your fingernails after washing your hands and after removing nail polish
5. Keep up your intake of food rich in omega-3 fatty aci
6. Ask your doctor if you have deficiency in any vitamins. If yes, you can incorporate vitamin rich food in your daily diet
7. Massage your nails with jojoba oil once in day before going to sleep.
8. Drink plenty of water – your nails can become brittle if you lack water.