Far from a weight loss myth, but rather a weight loss reality, drinking lemon water helps to speed up weight loss. When I’m feeling sluggish and have had quite a few naughty days. Lemon water is what I turn to, to help me kickstart my system and melt away some of the extra fat that’s become too comfortable round my middle.
Lemons are vitamin C rich citrus fruits that enhance your beauty, by rejuvenating skin from within bringing a glow to your face. One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy.
The way it works is that lemon water stimulates bile formation, which is essential for optimal fat metabolism and helps to regenerate the liver. It also promotes peristalsis, the movement in the bowels that keeps waste moving along the digestive tract and out of the body for elimination hence preventing the problem of constipation. Lemon water also gives your kidneys a boost with lemon’s diuretic action.
Packed with goodness, drink it first thing in the morning and wait 15 to 30 minutes to have breakfast. Try to make it a habit to begin your day with a glass of lemon water, preferably at room temperature. It’s cleaning and healing effects will have a positive effect on your health in the long run.
For those who weigh less than 68kg, squeeze half a lemon’s worth of juice into a glass of water. If over 68kg, use an entire lemon’s juice. You can of course dilute the lemon juice more, depending on your personal taste.
Read on for some more interesting benefits of lemon water listed below:
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
- Lemons contain pectin fibre which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
- It balances maintain the pH levels in the body
- Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
- It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
- It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
- It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
- It helps cure the common cold
- The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
- It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
- Aids in the production of digestive juices
- Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session
A note of warning… when lemon juice comes directly in contact with the teeth it can ruin the enamel on the teeth. Hence, it is advised to consume it diluted and also rinse your mouth thoroughly after drinking lemon juice. You can also drink the lemon water using a straw or even better a glass straw if you have one. Also never, ever use juice from a bottle or a plastic container.
So go ahead and give it a go! You may sometimes drink it warm or sometimes cool. For variety you can add in some cucumber slices and some fresh mint leaves.
Not only are the benefits of lemon water endless, it’s one of the most substantial yet simple changes you can make for your health.
Let’s toast to vibrant health !
Is lemon water part of your daily routine? Let us know in the comments!