Let’s face it: one of the telltale signs of ageing are our faces and necks, but did you know you can exercise both to tighten them up? Here’s the best exercises to try.
This exercise builds strength in the chin and upper neck.
- Pout your lower lip as far as you can and hold that pose for a few seconds.
- Lower your jaw while keeping your lower lip stuck out in the pout and your face still. Repeat this exercise about 10 times.
2. Kiss the sky
You should feel this stretch your neck and under your jaw.
- Sit in a chair with your back straight. Slowly lean your head back until you are looking up at the ceiling
- Purse your lips like you are kissing the sky and hold for 3 seconds. Repeat 10 times, 3 times a day.
3. Pretend to chew gum
This will stretch your jaw, side and front of your neck, and your chin.
- Turn your head to the right as far as you can and simulate a chewing gum motion with your mouth about 20 times. Repeat on the other side.
4. Gulping fish
Tighten your sagging neck with this move.
- Place your open hand at the base of your throat, stretched across your collarbone. Holding your hand down, extend your neck up, leading with your chin and stretch with your bottom jaw towards the ceiling. Do NOT swallow, but reach your bottom lip towards the ceiling, like a gulping fish. Make 10 gulps.
Great for lines and loose skin on the neck.
- Looking straight ahead, place the finger tips at the bottom of the neck and lightly stroke the skin downwards with your head tilted back.
- Bring the head back down to the chest and repeat two more times.
- Put your lower lip out as far as possible to pull the corners of the mouth down and place finger tips on the collarbone with the chin pointed upwards. Hold for four deep breaths.
6. Surprise me
Target your eye and forehead muscles in this pose.
- Open your eyes as wide as possible and hold until your eyes begin to water.
This aims to tighten the muscles in your cheeks.
- Inhale deeply through your mouth. Before exhaling, fill your cheeks with air like a bullfrog. Hold for a few seconds and release the breath.
8. Press your tongue
This targets the muscles in your neck and helps tighten the skin to reduce that baggy look.
- Tilt your head back slightly so you’re looking toward the ceiling. Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth. Smile and swallow. Continue for 30 to 60 seconds.
9. Eyebrow raise
Tighten your face with this controlled exercise.
- Place the three middle fingers of each hand slightly under each eyebrow while resting the palm of your hands on your face.
- With your fingertips, push your eyebrows up slightly and try to push down against your fingertips with your eyebrows. Hold this pose for five seconds and relax. Repeat three more times, holding the pose for 10 seconds each.
10. The neck roll
The neck roll not only tones and stretches the muscles of your jaw, throat and neck, but also releases tension from your shoulders and can ease neck and shoulder pain.
- Stand or sit straight.
- While inhaling, gently turn your head to one side until your chin touches your shoulder.
- While exhaling, slowly roll your head downward until your chin is resting on your chest.
- While inhaling, gently lift your head back up until your chin touches the other shoulder.
Tell us, which of these exercises will you give a go?