While we’re usually told to eat as much fruit and vegetables as possible, doctors are now warning that one popular fruit can actually be incredibly dangerous.
There’s no denying that fruit is a great healthy option for us all, but doctors say there’s one in particular that can put lives at risk: grapes.
While the experts agree grapes are a healthy snack option, it’s the fact that they can quickly turn into choking hazards that has experts worried – especially when it comes to feeding them to our grandchildren and the elderly.
A new study published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood has gone as far as to demand that supermarkets put warning labels on bags of grapes to tell people they can cause choking and subsequent death.
But is this a little over dramatic?
Dr Jamie Cooper who co-authored the study says there is an increasing amount of children being admitted to hospital after choking on grapes and says parents and grandparents should be warned.
“We only see the tip of the iceberg, we only see it when it is not alleviated,” Dr Cooper told The Guardian, saying there are many cases of children choking on grapes that aren’t reported.
“Whole grapes are ideally suited to cause paediatric airway obstruction and, though regularly implicated, knowledge that this popular fruit, and other similarly shaped foods, is a choking hazard is not widespread.
“Ideally we would like supermarkets and big chains to consider putting some choking hazard warning labels on [grapes], just like they do on toys and other things.”
While it’s an excellent warning for anyone who spends time with their grandchild, some are saying issuing a warning label on all bags of grapes is overkill.
“People have been living for hundreds of years eating grapes and the majority of us have miraculously survived. I think we’ll be fine doctor,” wrote one woman.
Others though, supported his plea.
“My granddaughter choked on a grape when I was looking after her just a few weeks ago. I had to grab her around the middle and hit her back until it popped out. It was very scary. Everyone should be warned,” said another.