These delicious biscuits are sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. They make a great morning tea and afternoon stack and combine classic tropical favours that are perfect for the summer months.
The biscuit features a fluffy coconut icing, tangy lemon, sweet honey and smooth almond butter. All of these combine to create a scrumptious biscuit that is perfect with a nice cup of tea.
Just make sure you store the biscuits in an airtight container in the fridge so the icing stays fresh and does not melt in the sweltering summer heat.
Ad. Article continues below.
- 105g (1 1/4 cups) desiccated coconut
- 100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 50g (1/4 cup) coconut sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Large pinch sea salt
- 60ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 60g (1/4 cup) solidified coconut oil
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 270ml can coconut milk (do not shake)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix together coconut, almond meal, sugar, rind, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until combined.
- Create a well in the centre using your hands.
- Add the honey, oil, almond butter and juice to a microwavable container and heat for 30 seconds.
- Mix until combined then return to the microwave for a further 30 seconds.
- Place the mixture in the well you made earlier and add the egg to the well.
- Stir until the mixture is combined and forms a sticky dough.
- Roll the dough into balls and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Flatten slightly and cook for about 14-15 mins making sure they are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, grind together your lemon and sugar in a mortar and pestle until combined.
- Open your coconut milk and carefully spoon off any solidified coconut.
- Mix the vanilla and sugar mixture into the coconut milk until combined.
- Whisk in the lemon juice to complete the icing.
- Making sure the biscuits are cool sandwich the icing between two biscuits at a time and place in an airtight container.
- Refrigirate and serve.