These muffins are a great afternoon snack and hark back to one of the oldest recipes in the book!
Traditionally it’s a savoury dish made with melted cheese and a whole heap of amazing flavours, which are then poured over slices of toast. This version takes that delicious concept and turns it into a tasty savoury muffin perfect for your mid-morning or afternoon snack. Think of it as a modern twist on an old classic!
- 225g self-raising flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ level teaspoon mustard powder
- 100g strong cheese, half grated, half cubed
- 6 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 150g Greek yogurt
- 125ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Ad. Article continues below.
1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Mix together the self-raising and plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mustard powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the cheese, oil, yogurt, milk, egg and Worcestershire sauce.
2. Combine all the ingredients and divide between the muffin cases in the muffin tin. Place in the oven for 20-25 mins until golden. Remove and cool slightly on a rack.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here