There are so many different versions out there for lemon slices, but this upside down version has just the right twist to make it extra special. The topping is made first and then set aside while you prepare and bake the base. After partially cooking, you take the base out of the oven and pour the lemon topping all over. The mixture seeps into the base creating the most moist and deliciously lemony flavour throughout so every bite is packed with a citrus burst. It’s the perfect slice for the summer season, with a refreshing sweet and sour kick. Dig in!
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 95g flour
- 2 large eggs
- 6g lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 150g caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sea-salt
Ad. Article continues below.
- 4 large eggs
- 6g lemon rind
- 20g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- 250g caster sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
1. Lemon topping: Mix cornflour, plain flour and sugar in a bowl, add lemon juice and mix well. Add eggs and whisk to combine (strain the mixture if its too lumpy). Add lemon rind, then set aside.
2. Base: Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking dish 8 inch x 8 inch with baking paper. Zest and juice lemons (may require more 2 or more lemons depending on the size), then set aside.
3. Using kitchen bench top mixer, attach whisk, add plain flour, butter, salt and sugar. Whisk till just combined
4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, lemon zest, lemon juice until combine. Add egg mixture into flour mixture and whisk until smooth and creamy. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top turns slightly golden brown. Carefully pour lemon topping mixture onto the cake. Bake for another 20 minutes
Leave to completely cool before turning it upside down, then serve.