The sweetest, most delicious banana bread you'll ever taste
This amazing banana bread is the perfect choice for “bring a plate” occasions – I’ve brought it along to various birthday parties over the years and never, ever had leftovers to take home!
This variation is a real winner: moist, packed with flavour and simple enough to prepare with grandkids.
- Four bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 150g of plain flour
- 1 punnet of fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup of fig jam
- 200g of self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup of raw sugar
- 1/4 cup of grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup of canola oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla essence (to taste)
- 100g butter
- 1/4 of icing sugar
Ad. Article continues below.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Grease your baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Sift all flour (both regular and self-raising) into a bowl.
- Add the cinnamon, raw sugar and cinnamon.
- Dig a small hole into the centre of the mixture. Inside it, add the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla essence and oil.
- Stir – not too long – until the ingredients combine.
- Add the raspberries and gently mix throughout.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 90 minutes (or until a skewer in the centre comes out clean). Set aside for 15-20 minutes before turning over to cool completely.
Fig butter (for glazing):
- Pour the butter and icing sugar into a bowl and whip until creamy.
- Add the fig jam and whip until smooth.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe for the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Simply fill in the form below.
Submit your article here
Loading Next Article
Love starts at sixty? Get our most popular stories delivered today. Join Us
Never Miss a story join us today