This delicious mango pineapple tart is a summer classic and an absolute winner every time!
With festivities almost upon us, this stand-out dessert is the perfect Christmas lunch or dinner companion. Packed with flavour, this tasty recipe includes a crunchy macadamia crust, filled with a creamy custard centre, topped with fresh mango and pineapple and an apricot glaze.
While the preparation takes a little work, the result is definitely worth it. If you’re pushed for time, don’t fret, the crust and filling can be made a day in advance.
It’s so tasty your guests will be begging for more!
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup roasted salted macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 1 vanilla bean, halved
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 3 1/2 tsp dark rum
- 1/2 pineapple, cored, sliced
- 2 mangoes peeled, halved
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves, melted
- For crust, blend flour, macadamia nuts, sugar and salt in processor until nuts are finely ground.
- Add in butter and blend until pea-size pieces form.
- Add yolk, water and extract, blend until moist clumps form.
- Gather into ball, flatten into disk, wrap in plastic and chill for three hours.
- Roll out dough between two lightly floured sheets of baking paper. Peel off top sheet of paper.
- Place crust into 28cm round tart pan (with removable bottom).
- Peel off paper, press dough into pan. Chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Bake crust for 25 minutes then leave to cool.
- For filling, combine milk and cream in saucepan over medium heat.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean, bring to simmer.
- Whisk yolks, sugar and cornflour in large bowl.
- Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture.
- Return to saucepan and whisk over medium heat for eight minutes.
- Transfer to medium bowl.
- Allow to cool before mixing in rum.
- Press plastic wrap over mixture and chill for four hours.
- For assembly, remove vanilla bean from filling. Whisk filling just until smooth and spread into crust.
- Arrange pineapple and mango slices then brush fruit with apricot preserves.