This flavoursome dish is perfect for both entertaining or an easy night in. The dish uses potatoes, chicken, garlic, capsicum and tomatoes to bulk out the flavour. The key to this dish is to tenderise the chicken so it’s falling apart on your fork. The red wine, tomatoes and beef stock help create a gorgeous rich flavour in every bite.
Best of all it’s made in a slow-cooker so you can relax while it does all the hard work for you! Try serving with couscous or polenta, or enjoy with a side of steamed greens.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on or off
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg baby potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- 2 medium-sized carrot, peeled and sliced
- 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 400g bottle tomato puree
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- 1 cube bullion (beef), crushed
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup pitted black olives
Ad. Article continues below.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and sear on one side for 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat on the other side for 3 minutes.
- Layer the potatoes along the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Layer the chicken over the potatoes and place all the other ingredients (with the exception of the olives and mushrooms) over the top.
- Once mixed place on the cover to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 1/2 hours.
- When the chicken is tender add in the mushrooms and olives and cook on the same setting for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice or a side salad.
With Facebook removing news sites from your feeds we ask that you sign up for Starts at 60’s emailers here. And to keep us on your wall, join some of our new Facebook groups and clubs:
News Junkies Club – Australia
News Junkies Club – USA
See news on the change and links to all our other clubs and groups here.