Forget the sweet stuff. This savoury cauliflower cake is an absolute winner!
This incredible recipe uses a classic combo — cheese and bacon — and really gets the tastebuds going. Full of flavour, this recipe includes a cheesy cauliflower mixture, sprinkled in a delightful bacon crumble – it’s so tasty, you won’t be able to resist!
Great on its own or paired with a green salad with simple lemon dressing, this tasty cauliflower cake is great to have on-hand. Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge and warm up in the microwave before serving.
- 15g butter, melted
- 750g cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 35g butter, chopped
- 150g shortcut bacon, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line base of a loaf pan with baking paper. Brush sides with melted butter.
- Combine seeds and toss around inside of pan so they stick to sides.
- Cook cauliflower in a steamer over a saucepan of boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat oil in large frying pain over medium heat.
- Cook onion and thyme, stirring, for five minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make bacon crumble. Place flour and butter in medium bowl.
- Rub in butter until clumps form. Stir through bacon.
- Transfer onion mixture to large bowl with eggs, flour, turmeric and cheese.
- Season and stir to combine. Stir through cauliflower.
- Pour cauliflower mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with bacon crumble.
- Bake for one hour or until golden.