This moist and delicious lemon and coconut cake is the essence of summer indulgence with its citrus freshness and tropical coconut undertones.
With summer just around the corner, this loaf is perfect for entertaining or pairing with a light meal, as dessert. The key to making this loaf taste amazing is to use fresh lemons and not prepackaged lemon juice.
This versatile recipe can also be modified depending on your taste. The lemons could be substituted for oranges and the icing mixture can be changed if you have your own favourite icing method. You can even add some crushed pistachios as a garnish to add even more flavour.
This loaf is easy to prepare and delicious!
- 120g butter, softened
- 150g raw sugar
- Rind 1 large lemon or 2 small
- 2 eggs
- 240g self-raising flour
- 240g coconut milk
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 115g raw sugar
- 65g lemon juice
- 200g raw sugar
- 1 1/5 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp shredded or desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease a rectangular cake tin or line with baking paper
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter, rind and sugar until combined.
- Add eggs and cream for 20 seconds.
- Then sift in flour, add milk and add the coconut.
- Mix for 30 seconds with electric mixer, then mix with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Mix sugar and lemon with electric beater until combined (about 20 seconds).
- While the lemon loaf is hot, pour over the top.
- Mix icing sugar and lemon juice with beaters.
- Pour over the loaf when it is completely cooled and sprinkle some coconut over the top.