Enjoy an indulgent treat, without the guilt!
A delightful addition to your next family dinner, this fantastic recipe takes the traditional orange loaf recipe and adds a flourless twist. Sweet, nutty and zesty, this delicious recipe is includes orange, poppy seed and hazelnut, and is a great gluten-free option.
It’s super easy to whip up and is a handy recipe to have in the book for those gluten-intolerant visitors. For an extra zesty hit, top with orange slices and remaining syrup.
There is nothing worse than a gooey middle and sometimes a loaf can be a little tricky to bake. Insert a skewer into the loaf (after the loaf has been baking for one hour), and if it comes out clean, it’s good to serve!
- 2 oranges
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 150g hazelnut meal
- 150g almond meal
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- Place oranges (whole) into saucepan over medium heat, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour or until oranges are soft.
- Drain and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, (to make syrup), place sugar, juice and 1 1/2 cups of water into saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil and add orange slices. Cook for 20 minutes or until oranges are translucent. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to160°C. Lightly grease and line a 9cm x 20cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- Place cooked oranges in food processor, process until smooth. Add eggs, sugar and process until smooth.
- Transfer to large bowl and fold through hazelnut and almond meals, poppy seeds and baking powder.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tray and bake for one hour and 30 minutes.
- Using a skewer prick top of cake (all over) and over the orange syrup.