A ham on Christmas day is a must-have and this recipe is perfect for the holiday season and is sure to be a winner at any Christmas celebration!
This delicious ham roast is glazed with a flavoursome Dijon mustard and cranberry sauce and cooked to perfection to provide tender meat and crunchy crackling.
The good news is that the leftovers can be used as a sandwich filling, in a toasty or slow cooked in a delicious pea and ham soup.
It might take a little longer to cook, but is certainly worth the wait.
Ad. Article continues below.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-3kg cooked ham
- Heat cranberries, water, and honey over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Stir for 5 minutes until all cranberries have popped.
- Add the Dijon mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper to the cranberry mixture and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce is combined and thick.
- Puree the sauce in a blender and leave to the side.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepare the roasting pan.
- Make sure the pan has a roasting rack so the ham does not go soggy.
- Place ham on the roasting rack an score the ham diagonally.
- Brush the ham with the cranberry sauce, making sure to save a bit for later.
- Place the ham in the oven and roast for 1 1/2 – 2 1/4 hours until a thermometer reads 60°C.
- When you are testing the ham, coat the ham with the cranberry sauce another time when you think it the ham has 20 minutes to go.
- When the ham is cooked, heat up the remaining cranberry sauce and serve it as a side sauce.
Carve and serve with a festive side salad!