This creamy and delicious cheddar biscuit-topped chicken pot pie is a great modern update on an age-old recipe. Pie pastry is something that many of us struggle with and pot pies have become an easy alternative that takes the hassle out baking a pastry casing.
This dish uses all the traditional flavours of a classic harvest pot pie like a creamy sauce, fresh vegetables and tender chicken. But it further highlights these flavours by using a flavoursome cheddar biscuit top instead of a plain pastry lid.
This is a great dish to serve with mashed potato and is very easy to prepare. You can prepare the filling in just one pan!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 heaped cup butternut squash
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 500g chopped cooked chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp unsalted cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 buttermilk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add olive oil to frying pan and cook onion on medium-high heat until clear.
- Add butternut squash and mushrooms to the pan and turn heat to medium.
- Cook squash and mushrooms for 8-10 minutes and then stir in garlic, sage and thyme.
- Add the butter and stir in the flour.
- When the butter is melted add the salt and pepper and slowly stir in the stock.
- When the mixture is thick, stir in the peas and chicken and then transfer to a casserole dish or oven crockpot.
- Make the biscuits garnish by stirring flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add in the butter and use a fork to create a crumbly texture.
- Stir in the buttermilk and fold in the cheese.
- Add this mixture to the top pot your pot pie and bake for 20min until golden on top.