If you’re looking for something a bit different for afternoon tea, give these amazing donuts a try!
They’re sweet and a little bit tart, and make a lovely accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee, and they’re surprisingly easy to make with no deep frying required!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 2/3 plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the glaze
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 7-8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or milk
1. Preheat oven to 220C and grease a donut tin with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
2. Beat together butter, oil, and sugar for around 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and butter milk and mix until smooth.
3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined. Stir in blueberries.
4. Spoon batter into a piping bag or freezer bag and cut so that opening is at least big enough for the blueberries to come out.
5. Pipe batter once around each donut hole – they will expand and rise.
6. Bake for 7-8 minute or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
7. For the glaze, combine sugar, lemon zest, and 6 tablespoons of milk or lemon juice. If required, add the remaining liquid. When donuts have cooled completely, dip them in the glaze then turn right-way-up so the glaze runs down the sides. Leave the glaze to set before tucking in!