Chicken pie is one of those recipes that never goes out of style. It’s nutritious and so comforting on a cold evening, easy to prepare, and the whole family will love it. This recipes serves 4-6 people, so it’s great if you’ve got guests, or it also makes excellent leftovers the next day.
- Meat of 1 BBQ cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1. In a large pot, place chicken meat, salt, pepper, celery, onion, and bay leaf, add approximately 2 litres of water and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
Ad. Article continues below.
2. Add carrots, peas, and potatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until tender.
3. Preheat over to 200C.
4. In another saucepan, melt butter and gradually stir in flour until smooth. Stirring continuously with a wire whisk, gradually add 3 cups broth from the chicken and vegetable pot, and milk. Drain the remaining water from the chicken pot (can be kept for other recipes).
5. Add the remaining salt and pepper to the milk mixture, followed by the chicken and vegetables. Remove from heat.
6. Spray a pie or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and spoon the mixture into the base. Roll out the pastry and place over the top, trimming the edges if needed. Lightly beat egg and then brush all over pastry with a pastry brush.
7. Bake for 20 minutes of until pastry is golden. Serve immediately.