Just because winter’s over it doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a hot and comforting meal at then end of long day. These mushroom pies are super tasty and full of flavourful, delicious mushrooms. The filling is ready in no time, with everything thrown into the pan and cooked up all together sending the most wonderful aroma all through the house. The buttery shortcrust pastry turns out lovely and golden and when served with a side of chips and gravy, you’ve got yourself one truly tasty meal. Enjoy!
- 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 350g mixed mushroom, sliced
- Small handful parsley, finely chopped
- 100ml single cream
- 375g pack ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- A little plain flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry until soft. Stir in the garlic and mushrooms, season and cook for 5 mins until the mushrooms are soft. Stir in the parsley and cream. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Ad. Article continues below.
2. Heat oven to 180C. Grease a small ramekins or individual pie tins with butter, then line each hole with a long thin strip of baking parchment. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and stamp out circles to fit your dish. Press a circle into each hole to line. Roll out the remaining pastry (you may need to re-roll trimmings) and stamp out 6 x 8cm circles.
3. Divide the mushroom mix between the pies. Brush the pastry edges with a little egg, top each with a pastry lid and carefully press the pastry edges together to seal.
Brush with the remaining egg. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden. Allow to cool in the tin slightly before serving, or cool on a wire rack and keep in airtight containers for up to 1 day. Reheat before serving.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here