These German potato pancakes, also known as Kartoffelpuffer are a cheap, easy, and delicious treat. Made from super simple ingredients that you probably already have in the house, they’re a great option for those days when you just don’t want to have to go out to the shops to get more food.
Can be enjoyed plain, as a side dish, or with your favourite sauce.
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- Canola oil
Ad. Article continues below.
1. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the grated potatoes, as they will be very watery. Press them down in some paper towel to ensure they are drained thoroughly.
2. Place the grated potato in a bowl and mix with the onion. Add the salt, eggs, and flour and mix until well combined.
3. Heat a fry pan over medium-high heat and add enough oil to shallow fry.
4. Form large spoonfuls of the mixture into disks, and drop into the oil. Cooking 2 or 3 pancakes at a time, fry for around 3 minutes or until golden, then turn and do the same on the other side.
5. Continue until all mixture is used, topping up oil as needed. Place pancakes on a plate lined with paper towel to drain the excess oil.
6. Can be enjoyed plain, or with your favourite sauce.