Tuna mornay is a delicious meal that is perfect if you’re running out of dinner ideas and looking for something a little different. Tuna is the cheapest and easiest meal option and works perfectly in this dish.
If you don’t feel like being in the kitchen all night or spending a fortune but still want to present a mouthwatering meal for you and your family, this is the perfect recipe for you.
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 2 x 425g cans tuna in spring water, drained
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 250g tasty cheese, coarsely grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 220C fan forced. In a large saucepan melt butter. Add onion and stir for 5 mins. Add flour and mix in.
- Add milk very slowly for about 5-7 mins and whisk. Crumble stock cube and mix in. Add mustard and whisk. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 mins. Stir constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Add tuna, half the parsley and half the cheese. Stir until mixed in completely. Transfer mixture to an oval 6-cup capacity oven-proof dish.
- In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs into remaining parsley and cheese. Scatter over tuna mixture. Bake until golden for 10-12 mins.