Tuna mornay is a delicious meal that is perfect if you’re running out of dinner ideas and looking for something a little different. Tuna is the cheapest and easiest meal option and works perfectly in this dish.
Ad. Article continues below.
If you don’t feel like being in the kitchen all night or spending a fortune but still want to present a mouthwatering meal for you and your family, this is the perfect recipe for you.
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 2 x 425g cans tuna in spring water, drained
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 250g tasty cheese, coarsely grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 220C fan forced. In a large saucepan melt butter. Add onion and stir for 5 mins. Add flour and mix in.
- Add milk very slowly for about 5-7 mins and whisk. Crumble stock cube and mix in. Add mustard and whisk. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 mins. Stir constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Add tuna, half the parsley and half the cheese. Stir until mixed in completely. Transfer mixture to an oval 6-cup capacity oven-proof dish.
- In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs into remaining parsley and cheese. Scatter over tuna mixture. Bake until golden for 10-12 mins.