We’re well into spring in Australia now, so what better time to take advantage of the still-cool evenings before the heat of summer hits by relishing hot soups?
Soups are often just the entree, but this tasty tortellini tomato soup with Italian sausage and spinach is more than just a soup; it’s a delicious, warming, and filling meal in one! Chock-full of hearty veggies with a rich tomato base, the addition of Italian sausage gives it extra flavour as well as a good fill of protein, while the tortellini ensures you leave the table feeling satisfied.
Serve with fresh, crusty bread for the perfect meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500g Italian Sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 package tortellini
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- Shaved parmesan, to serve
Ad. Article continues below.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over a medium-high heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring, until onions are soft. Crumble the Italian sausage and and to the pan along with garlic. Cook until sausage is browned.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, basil, salt, and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve with shaved parmesan and crusty, fresh bread.