Marinara sauce is a classic Italian dish that goes well with almost anything. It is perfectly paired with any kind of pasta or can be used as a pizza base.
Choose to have it fresh or, if you’re looking to save some time for future dinners, simply freeze the sauce and reheat as needed. This homemade option will make you never want to buy a store brand ever again!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 800g cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add chopped onion, celery and crushed garlic. Saute on medium heat for 4-5mins.
- Add tomatoes, spices and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30ins.
- Mix in spices and sugar. Serve however desired.
- If a smooth consistency is wanted, use a hand held blender to mix.