A delicious savoury snack the whole family with enjoy — crispy, crunchy and cheesy what more could you want?
Bursting with flavour, these delicious croquettes are made with potato, broccoli, bacon and cheddar cheese.
This tasty recipe works great as a snack or paired with veggies for a light meal. Easy to whip up, this recipe is also a great way to use up any leftover mash.
- 600g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 350g, broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 4 rindless bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 4 green shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 60g cheddar, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Cook potatoes in saucepan of boiling water for 12-15 minutes. Drain well.
- Use potato masher to mash until smooth. Transfer to large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli in saucepan of boiling water for five minutes.
- Drain and set aside. Once cool, finely chop.
- Heat non-stick frypan over medium heat. Cooking bacon for three minutes.
- Add shallot and cook for further three minutes. Drain on paper towel.
- Add broccoli, bacon mixture, egg yolk and 1/4 cup flour to the potato. Season and mix to combine.
- Roll heaped tablespoons into croquette shapes and place on lined baking tray.
- Whisk eggs in shallow bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs and remaining flour (1 1/4 cups) on seperate plates.
- Dip each croquette in flour, then in egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Return crumbled croquettes to lined tray, cover and place in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Pour enough oil into saucepan to reach a 5cm depth and heat over medium-high heat.
- Cook croquettes, in batches, for three minutes. Drain on paper towel.