Asparagus is an amazing vegetable that is highly underused in a lot of dishes. Often people just don’t know a lot of ways to use it, other than steaming or sautéing which become boring after a while.
This delicious tart is so easy to make, with very simple, fresh ingredients, and is a delicious way to put asparagus to good use when they’re in season and abundant. It makes a great light lunch, and would be just the number to impress your friends if you’re hosting a spring lunch. It would be absolutely delicious served with a crisp, white wine and some sunshine!
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar drizzle
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface until it’s about a 25x35cm rectangle, then place rolled out sheet onto the prepared baking tray.
- Lightly score an approximately 5cm border around the pastry sheet, and pierce some vents into the base. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until it starts to turn golden.
- Spread the ricotta over the inside rectangle of the pastry, avoiding the outer crust, then arrange the asparagus on top. Brush the asparagus with olive oil until well coated, then sprinkle parmesan over the top.
- Season with salt and pepper, then bake for 15-20 min or until asparagus is tender and pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then drizzle balsamic vinegar over tart before serving.