Risotto might not be the fastest dish to make, but it’s certainly one of the tastiest! This deliciously cheesy and creamy version uses pumpkin, mushroom and plenty of fresh parsley for that classic Italian countryside feel.
The chicken stock adds a lovely depth of flavour, but you can switch it out for vegetable stock if you prefer. Serve with a side of crusty bread or enjoy on it’s own. Any leftovers are perfect for heating up the next day for a special lunch treat!
- 15g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup diced pumpkin
- 3-4 cups hot stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until translucent.
- Add rice cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat rice in oil mixture.
- Add pumpkin and mushrooms to pan and stir.
- Add 1 cup of hot stock to pan and stir until liquid is mostly absorbed. Let stock gently simmer, being careful not to let it boil.
- Add 1 cup of stock and continue to stir until stock has evaporated a little. Repeat process until all stock is used. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Add parmesan, salt, pepper and parsley and stir through until cheese has melted.
- Serve hot with a side of crusty bread.