If there was a universally agreed upon comfort food, mac and cheese would have to be the winner. It’s a simple dish that everyone loves, and while we try not to indulge too often, every once in a while is good for the soul.
Give this version a try. With its crispy topping, it’s sure to become a favourite in your household!
- 500g dry pasta (elbow, macaroni or any other pasta)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 170g mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to packet directions and preheat oven grill to 190C.
- To make the topping, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs and stir to coat, cooking until golden-brown. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the frying pan, melt the 1/4 cup of butter. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the flour, cooking for 2 minutes. Reduce heat and gradually whisk in milk before bringing to the boil to thicken.
- Combine corn flour with a little water to make a paste and add it to the sauce, along with salt and pepper and stock powder. Remove from heat and stir through cheddar, half of the parmesan, and the mozzarella. Toss pasta through sauce until coated.
- Top with breadcrumbs and remaining parmesan and grill for 15 minutes or until bubbling.