Sometimes, the simplest of ingredients can make the most unexpectedly tasty meals. This pasta dish features a simple sauce of lemon and olive oil, as well as pea shoots – arguably one of the most underrated fresh ingredients out, as they have the most lovely flavour – and is brought together with a generous sprinkling of parmesan, which not respectable pasta would be without.
Ad. Article continues below.
With its simple, fresh and light sauce, this pasta really hits the spot for a spring dinner, and is really quick and easy to make as well!
- 2 heaped cups fresh pea shoots
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g spaghetti
- 1/2 cup pasta water (reserved from the spaghetti)
- Salt, to taste
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of well-salted boiling water until al dente, then drain and set aside (reserving 1 cup of water).
- While spaghetti is cooking, in a large bowl, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh ground pepper.
- Add cooked spaghetti and reserved water to the bowl with the olive oil mixture and toss to combine.
- Add pea shoots and toss until they’ve softened slightly, and the parmesan has melted into a smooth sauce.
- Add salt to taste, and serve immediately with extra parmesan.