This lovely banana cake recipe was sent in by a reader who says it’s the best she’s ever come across. As she describes it, the “cake doesn’t go flat or have the texture of rubber thongs – its one of those recipes that you throw all ingredients in bowl”. It’s so easy to whip together and finishing it with a lemon icing and a light sprinkling of shredded coconut makes it absolutely perfect. Enjoy!
- 3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 and 1/3 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 180g butter, melted
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180C (165C fan forced) and grease a 20cm x 20cm cake tin.
Ad. Article continues below.
2. Add lemon juice to milk and let thicken a little. In a bowl put flour, sugar, bi-carb soda, butter, bananas, milk and eggs. Mix well by hand. Mix in walnuts if using.
2. Pour cake batter into tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
3. Top with cinnamon or ice with lemon icing.
To write for Starts at 60 and potentially win a $20 voucher, send your articles to our Community Editor here.