Treat your tastebuds to a family favourite – buttery scones.
If you love an afternoon savoury snack, this recipe is for you. In this recipe we have taken the traditional scone and added an Italian-style twist. Completed with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, these savoury scones work perfectly with a touch of cream cheese or ricotta.
The best part is they’re easy to make and time efficient, too. This is the perfect recipe to have on stand-by just incase you need to whip up something quickly.
If you want to make it into a meal, this recipe also goes great with a serve of hearty soup. You can find a recipe for that here.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 60g butter, chilled, chopped
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Buttermilk, extra for brushing
- 1/4 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200℃.
- Line baking tray with baking paper and position oven rack in top half of oven.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into bowl.
- Add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add tomato and basil.
- Make a well in centre of mixture, add buttermilk.
- Use a flat-bladed knife to stir until sticky dough forms.
- Knead gently onto lightly floured surface until just smooth.
- Roll out dough to a 20cm square. Cut into 16 squares.
- Place scones, just touching, on prepare tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
Serve with a side of hearty soup!