Tandoori chicken is one of those Indian classics that’s great for people who want a little bit of that exotic flavour without burning their mouth! The flavours here are mild enough that even those with a low threshold for spicy food with love it. On top of that, unlike the takeaway version, this recipe isn’t dripping in oil so you can enjoy a delicious healthy dinner without any worries. After marinating for a few hours or overnight, the chicken has soaked up all that wonderful flavour and the end result is tender, moist and flavourful chicken you’ll want to come back to time and time again!
- 2 large chicken breasts (bone in or out) You can cut into strips if you like
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Marinate at least 1 hour and up to all day or overnight.
Ad. Article continues below.
2. When ready to cook, heat a large grill, hot plate or griddle pan and pour in about 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Cook turning when needed until chicken is nicely charred and cooked through.
3. Serve with rice or naan bread and a good dollop of tzatziki. It’s perfect in summer with a light salad or some nice steamed veg in winter.