Looking for a great side dish for the festive season? Look no further than this deliciously creamy potato bake complete with Italian prosciutto and tasty parmesan cheese.
Potato bake is a classic comfort food that the whole family can enjoy. Even the most discerning of children and grandchildren love a good potato bake!
While you could use bacon instead of prosciutto, go for the fancy stuff if you’re looking for something a little more special for the Christmas table.
The great thing is if there are any leftovers you can always store them in the fridge for Boxing Day lunch!
- 450ml pouring cream
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 2kg potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 small brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 100g prosciutto halved lengthways
- 20g (1/4 cup) finely grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Mix together the cream and the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Place one layer of potatoes along the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish or pie tray.
- Add a layer of onions on top and repeat the process until you have no more potatoes or onions.
- Pour over the cream mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and place on the oven for 1 1/2 hours until the potato is tender.
- Remove the potato bake and increase the oven temperature to 180°C.
- Take off the foil and using a fork, push the prosciutto into the different layers of the potato bake.
- Top with the parmesan cheese and bake uncovered. in the oven for a further hour until golden.
Serve as a side with roast meat for lunch!