In the height of summer, those warm recipes just aren’t as appealing as a creamy, light cake.
And combining gooey caramel, thick cream and fresh banana, this recipe is a simple and perfect end to any meal – for the whole family. With just a few short steps to create the masterpiece, it’s great for a larger dinner party or just to treat your nearest and dearest guests at home. So why not dig in? After all, it’s the time of year to celebrate in style!
- 70g softened butter
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sifted plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 600ml thickened cream, whipped to firm
- 3 large bananas
- 300g jar salted caramel dessert sauce, or close alternative
- 2-3 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°C (or 170°C for fan ovens).
- Grease a rectangular baking tray (measuring approx. 3cm-deep and 24 x 37cm base), before lining with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Add vanilla bean paste and egg yolks and continue beating until dissolved.
- Whisk egg whites in separate bowl until peaks form, before folding flour into butter mixture alternately with egg whites.
- Mix bicarb and water, and fold into mixture until combined.
- Pour into tray and spread to edges, before baking for 15 minutes or until springy.
- Sprinkle extra brown sugar on to some laid-out baking paper, before moving baked cake on top.
- Using paper as a guide, gently roll cake and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Unfold and leave to cool completely.
- Keep 1/3 cup cream aside and spread remaining on cooled cake, before scattering thinly sliced bananas on top.
- Spread 1⁄2 cup caramel sauce on top.
- Gently roll up cake.
- Line new baking tray with lightly-greased foil and chop remaining bananas up into long diagonal shapes.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar, and if available, use a kitchen blowtorch to caramelise them. If not, keep as fresh banana pieces.
- Top cake with remaining cream and banana pieces, before microwaving remaining sauce for 1 minute and drizzling on top.
This is perfect served with chilled cream in summer.