If you love a twist on an old-fashioned favourite, this is the recipe for you.
These tasty Mediterranean-style fritters are perfect for an easy dinner any night of the week and make a tasty lunch the next day.
Crumbled feta, salty olives, and fresh tomatoes and a touch of fresh basil leaves are combined in a lovely and light batter that fries up into the perfect crispy fritters . They’re packed with flavour and will definitely have you coming back for seconds!
You can enjoy them as is, or topped with a creamy garlic dip.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 120g feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup mix pitted olives, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, quartered, seeds removed
- 1/4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Add egg and 2 tbsp water.
- Stir until stiff batter forms.
- Stir in feta, olives, tomato and basil.
- Pour oil to come up one-quarter of the way up the side of saucepan.
- Place over medium-high heat.
- Heat to 160°C on cook’s thermometer.
- Add 1/4 cupfuls of mixture to oil and flatten slightly with spatula.
- Deep fry, turning half way, for 3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
Serve with fresh basil on top!