When it comes to Christmas time, it’s all about the home and hearty comforts.
And these crispy pies are the perfect snack for while you’re on the go – with that touch of indulgence we all deserve.
Combining buttery, flaky pastry with a smooth and rich beef and mushroom centre, they create a taste sensation in just a few easy steps.
So while you’re rushing to get that last minute Christmas shopping done, dig in to these piping hot favourites – and enjoy every bite!
Ad. Article continues below.
- 1kg boneless beef, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 leek, white part only, halved and thinly sliced
- 250g mixed mushrooms, diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 sheets butter puff-pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Place beef in large dish and mix in half the oil and some seasoning.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C for fan ovens).
- Heat the beef in smaller batches over medium-high heat in a large casserole dish, before setting aside to cool.
- Keep the dish on medium heat before adding garlic, leek and mushrooms – cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly sprinkle in flour, ensuring vegetables are thinly coated.
- Gradually stir in beef stock.
- Add beef back into the dish, stirring well with thyme until mixture begins to boil.
- Cover dish and place in oven to cook for 2 hours, checking meat is tender and stirring occasionally. Ensure you remove lid for final half hour.
- Stir in spinach and cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Switch up oven heat to 220°C (or 200°C for fan ovens).
- Pour cooled beef into six 1-cup sized pie dishes and cover with pastry lid – securing edges with added pressure.
- Brush egg across tops and cut small slits in to let heat escape.
- Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, checking pastry is crisp and golden.
These pies are best served with a sprig of thyme for extra flavour. They go perfectly with mashed potato and peas or beans.