This recipe takes away the most important ingredient from sausage rolls and replaces it with cottage cheese and pecans. But somehow, it completely works and it tastes amazing! These vegetarian sausage rolls are made up of an array of ingredients that end up tasting so good they could replace the original recipe.
They are the best option for any vegetarians who never get to have the classic dish but still crave it from time to time. Now everyone can enjoy a crispy sausage roll whether it’s the original or this delicious meat-free option!
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3 sheets reduced-fat ready-rolled puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 200C. Combine cheese, pecans, eggs, onion, herbs and sauces in bowl of food processor. Process until combined. Add breadcrumbs and oats. Pulse until mixture is just combined.
- Divide pastry sheets into four squares each. Add 2 tablespoons of mixture into each square. Roll to form a sausage. Brush milk lightly over top.
- Line baking paper onto a tray. Place rolls evenly apart. Poke a fork into top of each sausage. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 mins or until pastry is golden. Serve hot.