Perfectly crispy onion rings that crunch when you bite into them are deliciously satisfying, so why not give this easy recipe a try and whip up your own as a treat for the family.
This recipe is super easy and quick so whether you’re making these as a side dish to go with dinner, or as a quick snack for friends, you won’t have to wait long before you can tuck in and taste them.
If you want to make the recipe a bit healthier, you could try cooking the onion rings in an air fryer or substitute sunflower oil for a healthier option.
- 3 brown onions
- 100 g plain flour
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 300 g fine cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Peel and cut the onions into thin 3mm rings, then put to one side. If you have time, you can leave the onions in the fridge overnight to dry out.
- Take three bowls and add the flour to the first. Pour the buttermilk into the second and fill the third with the cornmeal, seasoned with the cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Toss the onion rings in the flour, then the buttermilk, and finally coat in the cornmeal.
- Pour the oil into a heavy-bottomed pan and heat to around 180°C. Once the oil is hot enough fry the onion rings in batches for around 1 minute, or until crispy, flipping them if needed.
- Carefully remove them with a metal spoon, and drain on kitchen paper.