When the weather’s fine, there is nothing better than firing up the barbie and inviting your family and friends around for some good food! And no barbecue would be complete without some delicious beef burgers.
This incredibly simple recipe will have you converted from buying pre-made burgers from the supermarket, to making your own instead. And the best thing about these burgers is that you can add in any seasonings you like to suit your needs. So if you like your food with a kick, why not throw in some cayenne pepper, or add some extra flavour with fresh herbs.
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 500g good-quality beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 burger buns
- All or any of the following to serve: sliced tomato, beetroot, horseradish sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup, handful iceberg lettuce, rocket, watercress
- Tip the minced beef into a bowl with the onion and egg, then mix.
- Divide the mixture into four. Lightly wet your hands. Carefully roll the mixture into balls, each about the size of a tennis ball.
- Set in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze down to flatten into patties about 3cm thick. Make sure all the burgers are the same thickness so that they will cook evenly. Put on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 mins.
- Heat the barbecue to medium hot. Lightly brush 1 side of each burger with oil.
- Place the burgers, oil-side down, on the barbecue. Cook for 5 mins until the meat is lightly charred. Don’t move them around or they may stick. Oil the other side, then turn over using tongs. Don’t press down on the meat, as that will squeeze out the juices.
- Cook for 5 mins more for medium. If you like your burgers pink in the middle, cook 1 min less each side. For well done, cook 1 min more.
- Take the burgers off the barbecue. Leave to rest on a plate so that all the juices can settle inside. Slice each bun in half. Place, cut-side down, on the barbecue rack and toast for 1 min until they are lightly charred. Place a burger inside each bun, then top with whatever you like!