Classic lemon and date slice like Mum used to make
Making a classic recipe brings back such fond memories, and it’s clear this lemon and date slice was always made with a lot of love.
Ad. Article continues below.
Passed down over the years, many of us will remember this iconic slice, but if you don’t, or you’d love to have a taste again, then we have the recipe for you.
This is a nice change from the typical lemon slice, but still has that beautiful fresh taste!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 cups pure icing sugar
- 20g butter, softened
- 2.5 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a square slice tray with baking paper.
- Melt butter and golden syrup together on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and pour over the melted butter and golden syrup, mixing well.
- Press this mixture firmly into slice tin and place into the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- To make the lemon icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter and lemon juice.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and combined.
- Spread icing over warm slice.
- Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until icing has set.
Loading Next Article
Love starts at sixty? Get our most popular stories delivered today. Join Us
Never Miss a story join us today