While lasagna is usually considered a winter dish, this chicken version is the perfect summer dinner! Packed with tender diced chicken, spinach and layers of cheese it’s every mouthful is full of deliciousness! Once the top is baked until it’s golden and bubbly, leave it to rest for about 10 minutes so the cheeses and the white sauce settles – it makes it much easier to cut, too. Serve up a nice big slice with a fresh garden salad on the side, or just enjoy on it’s own. Dig in!
- 125g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese, halved
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, halved
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 9 ready to use lasagne sheets
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 500g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly. Mix in stock and milk. Boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Ad. Article continues below.
2. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, then add basil, oregano and ground black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Spread 1/3 of sauce mixture in the bottom of a 20x30cm baking dish. Layer with 3 sheets, the ricotta and the chicken. Arrange another 3 sheets of the lasagne over the chicken. Layer with another 1/3 of the sauce mixture, spinach and the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Arrange remaining lasagne sheets over cheese, and spread remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until top is golden and bubbling.