This recipe is from Fran’s grandmother and is an incredibly moist fruit cake that can be enjoyed with a tea and with friends.
Ad. Article continues below.
- 125 grams butter
- 250 grams sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 250 grams each of currants, sultanas and raisins
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon spice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 65 grams mixed peel
- 65 grams chopped almonds
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup each of plain flour and SR flour
- Boil all ingredients together except eggs and flour.
- Beat eggs till frothy and fold into mixture. Then add sifted flours.
- Place in 8 inch (20 centimetre) tin and bake in moderate oven (170 degrees) for 1.5 hours.
If you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.
Submit your article here
Loading Next Article
Love starts at sixty? Get our most popular stories delivered today. Join Us
Never Miss a story join us today