Banana cake is one of those classics that never seems to go out of fashion and for good reason too – it’s delicious! This version has a little twist in the way of plump and juicy raspberries that add a fresh burst of flavour with every bite. The whole thing is super easy to make and is ready to enjoy in under an hour. Serve up a nice thick slice with a cuppa and sit back and relax – you deserve it!
- 150g butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled, mashed
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Butter, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease base and sides of a 7cm deep, 11cm x 21cm (base) loaf pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.
Ad. Article continues below.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale. Add egg, in 2 batches, beating well after each addition.
3. Stir in banana. Sift flour and baking powder over banana mixture. Add milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Carefully fold in raspberries.
4. Spoon mixture into loaf pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Lift onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 10 even slices.