Disturbing background of new Madeleine McCann suspect revealed

It's been nearly 12 years since Madeleine McCann vanished without a trace and investigators have identified a new suspect with a disturbing background. Source: Getty

British toddler Madeleine McCann vanished without a trace in 2007 from her family’s holiday apartment in Portugal and 12 years later, investigators may be one step closer to solving the case.

An exclusive report by Sky News claims the latest suspect is a German man already being investigated over alleged child sex offences. According to the report, the man was on remand in prison in Germany when authorities alerted Portuguese investigators working with Scotland Yard on the case.

It is reported the man was living in the Algarve region – close to where Madeleine vanished when she was just three years old from a holiday apartment in the Praia da Luz resort. He wasn’t a suspect at the time of Madeleine’s disappearance but other alleged paedophiles were investigated and eliminated as people of interest in the case. Lisbon-based newspaper Expresso initially reported that a foreign paedophile was a new suspect in the disappearance.

May 12 marks the official anniversary since Madeleine went missing and her parents Gerry and Kate shared a heartbreaking message alongside a photograph of their daughter on Facebook earlier this week.

“It’s that time of year again. As much as we’d like to fast forward the first couple of weeks of May, there’s no getting around it,” they wrote. “The months and years roll by too quickly; Madeleine will be sixteen this month. It’s impossible to put into words just how that makes us feel. There is comfort and reassurance though in knowing that the investigation continues and many people around the world remain vigilant.

“Thank you to everyone who continues to support us and for your ongoing hope and belief. For as long as it takes.”

Read more: Parents of missing kids blast millions spent on hunt for Madeleine McCann

The latest news follows the launch of a new Netflix documentary series which made a number of sensational claims about Madeleine’s disappearance.

“If you made a dozen movies out of this, nobody would believe them,” one investigator said in the documentary.

Another added: “I’ve done thousands of cases. With the Madeleine case, I’ve seen the worst things a human being can see. The worst.”

One suspect claimed police wanted him to confess to taking the toddler and explained that he thought he had been “set up”. The documentary also claimed that the area where Madeleine McCann vanished was known for its high number of sexual predators and that human trafficking was a huge problem.

Madeleine’s parents didn’t appear in the documentary and said it could impact the ongoing investigation.

“The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate,” they said before the documentary’s release.

“We did not see and still do not see how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, could potentially hinder it.”

Read more: ‘Maddie’s still our little girl’: McCann parents’ moving message 11 years on

Have you been following the Madeleine McCann case? Do you have a message for Madeleine’s family?

Join the community that will get you through the hard times ahead.

Starts at 60 is the community you need when Covid-19 is changing life as we know it. We stick together, help each other, share information and have a whole lot of fun online.

Join for interactive online events, expert advice, timely news, great deals and community conversation.

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up