Victoria Police are on the hunt for a man seen with a 73-year-old moments before he was discovered dead in suspicious circumstances on a Melbourne footpath on Wednesday morning.
Homicide Squad detectives have reached out to the public for assistance after the resident from Kilsyth in Melbourne’s east was found deceased outside an address in Browning Street just after 9am. An investigation into the 73-year-old man’s death has been launched with information another man was spotted with the victim at the scene, prior to fleeing the area.
“Detectives are keen to speak to any residents or anyone who may have seen any suspicious activity or were in the area of Browning Street, Mount Dandenong Road, Colchester Road and Shelley Avenue between 8.30am and 9.30am this morning,” Victoria Police said in a statement. “Anyone who may have residential CCTV in those areas and anyone driving with dash-cam footage in the area are urged to contact police.”
At this stage, the death is being treated as suspicious with the Homicide Squad continuing investigations into the exact cause. Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.
The death comes weeks after the bodies of a 71-year-old woman and her 75-year-old husband were discovered at a property in Sydney suburb of Sutherland by police who responded to a concern for welfare.According to NSW Police, a man – believed to be the deceased couple’s 46-year-old son – is thought to have made the 000 call and had lived at the property with his parents for most of his life.
Police arrived at the property on Tudar Road where they found the deceased couple, both with a number of injuries to their bodies. A 46-year-old man, reported widely to be the son of the couple, was arrested at the scene and taken to hospital under police guard to undergo treatment for non life-threatening injuries.
— 7NEWS Sydney (@7NewsSydney) August 6, 2019
“Whilst formal identification is yet to be completed, the deceased are believed to be the man’s 71-year-old mother and 75-year-old father,” NSW Police confirmed in a statement. Speaking to media about the deaths, Detective Superintendent Jason Box said the man in question had made “certain comments” and “admissions” about the incident.
“He’s made certain comments to police at the scene at the time and since he’s been at the hospital and that is something the detectives are following up at this time,” he explained. Further clarifying to reporters: “Admissions that he was there and involved to a certain extent.”
Meanwhile, Box also explained the couple’s other middle-aged son has been informed of the deaths of his parents. The detective also commended the officers who arrived at the scene to find the couple, explaining it wasn’t what they were expecting. “While they’re trained to expect the worst walking in to see that scenario was quite confronting,” he told reporters.
Meanwhile, last month a son shared his agony after his mother, 82, was found dead in her home and an 83-year-old man – reported to be her husband – was charged with murder. Queensland Police confirmed the man was charged over the alleged suspicious death of the woman at Logan, south of Brisbane.
— Nine News Queensland (@9NewsQueensland) July 21, 2019
“Officers were called to the Kingston Road address at 1am following reports a woman had been located deceased,” they added in a statement. “A crime scene was declared, and investigations began into the circumstances. An 83-year-old man taken into custody at the scene has been charged with one count of murder and will appear in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court in the [Monday] morning.”
Arriving at the home after hearing the news, the woman’s son appeared on camera with Nine Newsto share his agony at hearing of her death. “Very sad… Yeah, very sad,” he said, when asked how he’s feeling. “I really don’t know how I… You know… To face my father or my relatives after that.”