Following the news that Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex are expecting their first child next year, Meghan’s half-sister Samantha Markle has broken her silence.
Samantha, who has very publicly lashed out at Meghan and Prince Harry in the past, seemed delighted by the news. Speaking exclusively to British tabloid The Sun, Samantha explained that she found out about the baby news via a text message.
“It just makes everything that happened over the last year disappear,” she told the publication. “I want Meghan to be happy and calm and have peace. Everybody needs to be positive.”
Royal fans around the world were quick to notice that Meghan and Samantha’s father Thomas was not included in the statement released on Monday by Kensington Palace. Samantha explained that she hoped leaving his name off the statement wasn’t intentional and said that she “won’t be happy” if he isn’t included at the proper time.
She admitted that a baby “changes everything and softens everyone”, although said she wasn’t happy with the way her father had been treated in the past.
“I don’t want Meg to feel any stress and I want my dad to feel happy and I think all things will come full circle,” she said.
Samantha’s latest comments come a week after she travelled to the United Kingdom to confront Meghan in person. According to UK publication The Mirror, Samantha showed up uninvited at the home of Prince Harry and Meghan, but was turned away by security guards. The 53-year-old was said to be embarrassed after staff refused to let her past the gates of Kensington Palace.
In photographs obtained by the publication, Samantha could be seen handing over a letter to an officer, thought to be for her half-sister.
Samantha’s representative Rob Cooper revealed at the time that after “numerous discreet attempts” to contact her half-sister, Samantha was travelling to the UK to confront Meghan about their father.
“Samantha Markle is coming to the UK. After making numerous attempts in private to arrange a one on one meeting with The Duchess of Sussex to discuss their 74 year old father’s health, Kensington Palace have refused to respond,” he said on Twitter. “I fear Meghan may not be made aware of these discreet attempts and therefore making this public is the only option we have left. I currently have Samantha in Europe with just one short flight away.
“This DOESN’T need to be public, we would prefer to keep this private. Samantha is coming to the UK this week, like it or not.”
During the visit, Samantha apologised for her behaviour on the Jeremy Vine Show, explaining that she wanted to move forward and how she wished things could have been different.
Still, she also took aim at Meghan’s mother Daria, alleging she “wasn’t around much” during Meghan’s teenage years.
The Duchess of Sussex and Samantha have had a strained relationship for quite some time, made worse when Samantha went public with her outbursts ahead of the royal wedding in May.
Kensington Palace first announced Meghan and Prince Harry were expecting a baby on Monday – hours after the pair arrived in Australia ahead of the Invictus Games.
Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby in the Spring of 2019.Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public. 📷PA
“Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public,” a statement from the Palace said.
The baby is due in the UK’s spring next year, although no due date has yet been confirmed.