It has been less than a fortnight since the terms of the deal between the British royal family and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were made public, confirming that the couple would lose their HRH titles and indeed divide their time between Harry’s native United Kingdom and North America.
But the couple have wasted no time in getting down to business on their own terms as they unveiled their first new initiative post-‘Megxit’ on Wednesday. Using their Sussex Royal Instagram platform, Harry and Meghan put their support behind a mental health campaign devised by Canadian telecoms giant Bell Canada.
The ‘Bell Let’s Talk’ campaign shows people from around the world holding up signs displaying positive messages, such as “We’re all in this together” and “Kindness doesn’t cost a thing”.
Harry and Meghan shared their excitement at being involved with the campaign, as they posted several of the campaign images on their social media page. A statement shared by the Sussexes read: “We are so happy to be supporting Bell’s mental health campaign … Please share, please talk and let’s be part of the solution.”
The couple, who are currently living on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, also revealed that for every person who watches Bell’s ‘Let’s Talk’ video online, the mobile network will donate 5 cents towards mental health initiatives across Canada.
The campaign marks the first time the couple have stepped out on their own to support a cause, without the backing or guidance of the royal family. However, the cause is one that was actually supported by Prince Harry, Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge back in 2017.
Tweeting their support for their campaign almost three years ago, Kensington Palace shared a message that read: “Great to see our followers in Canada joining a national conversation on the importance of mental health as part of #bellletstalk.”
Last week Prince Harry left the UK and flew to Canada to be reunited with his wife and their young son Archie, who has remained in the country since before Christmas. Meghan returned to the country one week before her husband, leaving Harry to hash out the finer details of their exit with his family.
The couple publicly announced their intentions to take a step back from their roles as senior members of the royal family on January 8 when they shared a bombshell statement on Instagram, seemingly blindsiding Buckingham Palace.
In a statement, the Sussexes said they would make the transition this year, carving out “a progressive new role within this institution” by balancing their time between the UK and North America while “continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen”.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity,” the statement continued.
“We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”
A short statement released by Buckingham Palace on behalf of the royal family in response said only that discussions with the couple were at an early stage. It simply read: “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
In the weeks since, the couple have come to an agreement with the palace and Her Majesty the Queen, which will allow them to split their time between the UK and North America, while they will also no longer receive public funds and have vowed to pay back the AU$4.6 million spent refurbishing their home Frogmore Cottage.