Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex have won the hearts of several nations during their mammoth 16-day tour of Australia, Tonga, Fiji and New Zealand, but the duke’s advice to one young fan following the death of his mother marks the most emotional moment of their overseas tour to date.
The Duke of Sussex was speaking to New Zealand schoolboy Otia Nante, whose mother recently committed suicide, during a walkabout in Auckland on Tuesday when he referred to battling his own grief, sweetly reeassuring the boy.
“Everything will be OK — look at me,” he told the six-year-old, according to the Daily Telegraph.
Empathetic Harry, who was just 12 when his mother Diana, Princess of Wales, passed away, then spent several minutes speaking to Otia’s grandmother Te Nante, 52, telling the youngster how important grandparents can be.
He then told Te: “You’re doing a great job, Nan. Nans are so important in our lives.”
Later on Tuesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex joined New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern for a formal reception at the Auckland War Memorial Museum, which was held to honour guests aged between 17 to 25 who have made a positive contribution to their community.
The pregnant duchess looked sensational as she stepped out in a navy dress by designer Antonio Beradi, and eagle-eyed fans were quick to point out that the mum-to-be has worn the frock before, at the Audi Polo Challenge back in May 2017.
Featuring button details and an asymmetrical hemline, Meghan looked incredible in the frock which perfectly complimented her husband’s smart navy suit, which he opted to wear without a tea, for a more casual look. Meghan completed her polished outfit with a pair of beige stiletto heels, wearing her long dark locks in loose waves which fell down over her shoulders.
Over the past 16 days, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have visited Australia, Fiji and Tonga, before concluding the trip in New Zealand. The overseas tour, which was their first since tying the knot in May, was scheduled to coincide with the Invictus Games, which took place in Sydney earlier this month.
Prince Harry, who founded the event for wounded servicemen and women in 2014, opened and closed the fourth annual competition with his wife, while The Kingdom Choir, who performed at their wedding in St George’s Chapel, also performed during Saturday’s closing ceremony.